- Private, West Nova Scotia Regiment, R.C.I.C. (Service #F/95352). Cassino Cemetery, Italy, Grave IV. A. 10.From Ancel Hennigar War Service Record (HEN-HH48):
1. Attestation Paper: Date of Birth: 18 Sep 22; Trade: Lumberman (5 yrs.), farmer, carpenter (2 yrs.); Single; Next of Kin: Mrs. Christina Hennigar, R.R.#3, Truro.
2. Occupational History Form states he had dependents, Truro was his place of residence, he enlisted there on 10 Apr 42, he left school at age 16 with Grade 8. At the time of enlistment he was working for Roy McDonald in Salt Springs, Col. Co., in a lumber mill. His preferred employment on discharge was to be a mechanic.
3. Record of Service: He embarked from Halifax on 20 Aug 42 but the ship had to return to port 'due to a mishap'. He was sent to Aldershot, N.S. on 24 Aug 42. On 19 Oct 42 he was found to be 'illegally absent by Court of Inquiry and to have deficiencies in kit and equipment to the amount of $18.70'. He was AWL again on 16 Aug 43. On 27 Oct 43 he was sent to the 1st Training Brigade Group in Debert, N.S., and finally to the U.K. where he disembarked on 24 Feb 44. He was sent to Italy and disembarked there on 9 Apr 44, having left the U.K. on 26 Mar 44. He joined the West Nova Scotia Regiment (WNSR) on 16 May 44 as a Private, location AA1 (?). He was killed in action on 23 May 44 while with the WNSR in AA1.
4. Estates Branch Form: Gives his date of birth as 1923. States he lived in Hants Co. for 16 years and then in Colchester Co. for 3 years. Form is certified by Rev. JA Bradley in Valley, Col. Co., N.S. on 20 Jul 44.
5. Field Service: Burial: Adolf Hitler Line, Italy, sh160/III NE MR 735184 Grave 8 on 27 May 44. Burial reported by LF Wilmot, H/Capt, WNSR (H=honourary). "Death occurred on strength of Forces. HQ 405-H-10202 d. 10-6-44. Royal Message sent 30 Jun 44, Cdn. message sent 21 Jun 44. Reburial: Cassino Military Cemetery, Cassino, Italy. Plot 4, Row A, Grave 10. Photographs dispatched 12 Apr 47.
- (Research):HEN-34, HEN-63, HEN-HH48
Commonwealth War Graves Commission
HENNIGAR, ANCEL C.
Service No: F/95352
Date of Death: 23/05/1944
Regiment/Service: West Nova Scotia Regiment, R.C.I.C.
Grave Reference IV. A. 10.
Cemetery CASSINO WAR CEMETERY
Additional Information: Son of Joel and Christina Hennigar.